Mike Berkens recently posted about Limos.com receiving another $10MM in funding to further build out their business, bringing the total to $15MM in VC money in recent years.
Mixergy.com recently interviewed MJ DeMarco, the original founder of Limos.com, who revealed a fascinating back story on the evolution, up until his final sale of the business (not just the domain name) in 2007.
That interview is available at this link. (If the interview is no longer available for free, check the iTunes store, search under Mixergy, and it may still be available for free there.)
- The original business was built on the domain www.Limo-Search.com. (discussed at about the 8 minute mark of the interview)
- That domain was then upgraded to www.Limos.com, which in the founder’s opinion was the ‘turning point’ of the business (though he admits he over-estimated how the domain would the impact the business).
- The purchase price of the domain Limos.com in 1999? $10,000. (about the 17:30 mark)
- The business transitioned from a directory model to a lead gen model.
- The business & domain name was sold by MJ DeMarco in 2000 for $1.2 million —- $500k in cash and $700k in stock options.
- The acquiring company went bust, then re-sold the Limos.com business back to MJ DeMarco for $250,000.
- He then built up the business, and eventually sold it again in 2007 for $4.5MM.
If you’re not yet sold on the revenue potential of the lead gen model, listen to the interview to get blown away by the gross revenues and profit margins that are discussed.
- Aaron on Flippa recap: XIH.com, VJZ.com, OZAR.com, SEO.ws, Kryptonite.net, more
- Alan on Flippa recap: XIH.com, VJZ.com, OZAR.com, SEO.ws, Kryptonite.net, more
- Rebecca on End User Sales: StartMail.com, to StartPage.com – “the world’s most private search engine”
- Stacey Smathers on ‘Groupon Getaways with Expedia’ Announced. Domain TBD, but GrouponGetaways.com Used by a 3rd Party
- Maksim on Domain Flips (FixAmerica.com, NTNM.com) and Flops (Vaccinate.com)
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: FO.com, Set.tv, Raw.co.uk, Dailybreak.com More
- Flippa recap: XIH.com, VJZ.com, OZAR.com, SEO.ws, Kryptonite.net, more
- Domain Flips and Flops: $100k on Fotograf.de, 10x on Purchased.com, 2x on Domains.in, more
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: Interest.me, Coterie.com, ParkingGames.com, More
- Flippa Recap: Similar.net, HRT.org, CWD.net, a $100k website sale, more
- Domain Flips (FixAmerica.com, NTNM.com) and Flops (Vaccinate.com)
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: AhHa.com, Resultados.com, Apps.net, Mara.com, More
- Recent High Dollar Price Quotes on DomainNameSales.com – 5/6/13
- Flippa Recap: HRT.org, URLShortener.com, Speculates.com, Z2.org, two $200k+ website sales
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: Leo.com, Duma.com, Drill.com, GameTruck.com, More
- Recent High Dollar Price Quotes on DomainNameSales.com – 4/29/13
- Flippa Recap: JE.de, Q.af, ReLike.com, a $60k website, more
- Domain Flips and Flops: 2.5x on Tempt.com in a few months, 21x on Opinator.com, more
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: Seri.com, Indi.com, Hot.net, GameGlobe.com, More
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: Jackpot.com, Movies.xxx, Hike.in, Newburyport.com, More