Mike Berkens recently posted about Limos.com receiving another $10MM in funding to further build out their business, bringing the total to $15MM in VC money in recent years.
Mixergy.com recently interviewed MJ DeMarco, the original founder of Limos.com, who revealed a fascinating back story on the evolution, up until his final sale of the business (not just the domain name) in 2007.
That interview is available at this link. (If the interview is no longer available for free, check the iTunes store, search under Mixergy, and it may still be available for free there.)
- The original business was built on the domain www.Limo-Search.com. (discussed at about the 8 minute mark of the interview)
- That domain was then upgraded to www.Limos.com, which in the founder’s opinion was the ‘turning point’ of the business (though he admits he over-estimated how the domain would the impact the business).
- The purchase price of the domain Limos.com in 1999? $10,000. (about the 17:30 mark)
- The business transitioned from a directory model to a lead gen model.
- The business & domain name was sold by MJ DeMarco in 2000 for $1.2 million —- $500k in cash and $700k in stock options.
- The acquiring company went bust, then re-sold the Limos.com business back to MJ DeMarco for $250,000.
- He then built up the business, and eventually sold it again in 2007 for $4.5MM.
If you’re not yet sold on the revenue potential of the lead gen model, listen to the interview to get blown away by the gross revenues and profit margins that are discussed.
- Aaron on Inside the Buyer’s Mind on the $250,000 Acquisition of StockPhoto.com
- gene on Inside the Buyer’s Mind on the $250,000 Acquisition of StockPhoto.com
- Aaron on Domain Flips and Flops: TRAFFIC Auction Edition
- conan on Domain Flips and Flops: TRAFFIC Auction Edition
- Aaron on Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: Investing.com, EndGame.com, K1.de, Fetch.co.uk, More
- Inside the Buyer’s Mind on the $250,000 Acquisition of StockPhoto.com
- Flippa Recap: QRP.com, Electronics.info, Fix.com Update
- Domain Flips and Flops (NWN.com, Amsterdam.org, eHandshake.com, Frinzo.com)
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: Investing.com, EndGame.com, K1.de, Fetch.co.uk, More
- Flippa Recap: iStock.info, PersianRugs.org, Bong.biz, Fix.com doesn’t hit reserve at $718,500
- Domain Flips (Ruve.com, Gericke.com, SafariHouse.com) and Flops (Baguette.com)
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: Offset.com, Snipes.com, LowRates.com, More
- Flippa Recap: Vulgar.com, StockPhoto.info, CloudBackup.net, Fix.com bidding hits $595,000
- Domain Flips (Suzan.com, $35k+ on PhoneTracker.com) and Flops (VXZ.com)
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: iTrust.com, Thriller.com, Lead.co, VU.ca, More
- Nearly $300,000 in Bids Have Met Reserve for Tomorrow’s Heritage Auctions Domain Auction
- Flippa Recap: eBet.info, Yenx.com, AttorneyListings.com, Install.info
- Domain Flips (65x on DentGuys.com, Casinos.info, NYHome.com) and Flops (2940.com, Dego.com)
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: Gamepedia.com, GiftBasket.com, Brilliant.org, More
- Flippa Recap: VirtualDoctors.com, H4V.com, LadyGaga.co, Replies.org for $60,000 (website)
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011