Too late to get into the domaining game, you say?
If you had any doubts that people are making money flipping domains, you simply have to look at the recent Webfest auction results.
The examples below aren’t just for people with deep pockets, either……..the acquisition cost for two of the domains was reg fee. Profits range from a couple hundred bucks to over $100,000.
Note: for purposes of these examples, I haven’t done an exhaustive look at the ownership history of each domain. There are likely scenarios where there was another owner or two in between the the sales prices I list below.
- JF.com sold for $250,000 at Webfest. It sold for $101,000 just two years earlier at Sedo.
- VirusRemoval.com sold for $13,000 at Webfest. It sold for $8,000 in 2011 at Sedo.
- UXZ.com sold for $5,000 at Webfest. It sold for $3,325 at NameJet in October 2012….just a few months earlier.
- Successor.com sold for $3,250 at Webfest. This one has traded hands a few times. Shane does a more detailed post on it, and he was personally involved. Sold for $2,610 in 2012 at NameJet, then $900 at Sedo, then flipped to Shane, then sold at Webfest. One person lost some money, while a few others made some money.
- KidVault.com for $800. Registered in June 2012.
- SeedNetworks.com for $320. Registered in September 2012.
Of course, it’s easy to lose money, too:
- Successor.com – see above.
- BeverlyHillsPlasticSurgeons.com sold for $1,100 in the auction. It was acquired for $2,500 at Afternic in 2006.
- SpeedPC.com sold for $400 in the auction. It was acquired for $811 at NameJet in July 2012.
- Lastly, think of all the crappy hand-reg names that were probably submitted, but didn’t make it into the Webfest auction…..99% of those domains are a liability, and not an asset.
- Aaron on Flippa recap: XIH.com, VJZ.com, OZAR.com, SEO.ws, Kryptonite.net, more
- Alan on Flippa recap: XIH.com, VJZ.com, OZAR.com, SEO.ws, Kryptonite.net, more
- Rebecca on End User Sales: StartMail.com, to StartPage.com – “the world’s most private search engine”
- Stacey Smathers on ‘Groupon Getaways with Expedia’ Announced. Domain TBD, but GrouponGetaways.com Used by a 3rd Party
- Maksim on Domain Flips (FixAmerica.com, NTNM.com) and Flops (Vaccinate.com)
- Flippa recap: XIH.com, VJZ.com, OZAR.com, SEO.ws, Kryptonite.net, more
- Domain Flips and Flops: $100k on Fotograf.de, 10x on Purchased.com, 2x on Domains.in, more
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: Interest.me, Coterie.com, ParkingGames.com, More
- Flippa Recap: Similar.net, HRT.org, CWD.net, a $100k website sale, more
- Domain Flips (FixAmerica.com, NTNM.com) and Flops (Vaccinate.com)
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: AhHa.com, Resultados.com, Apps.net, Mara.com, More
- Recent High Dollar Price Quotes on DomainNameSales.com – 5/6/13
- Flippa Recap: HRT.org, URLShortener.com, Speculates.com, Z2.org, two $200k+ website sales
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: Leo.com, Duma.com, Drill.com, GameTruck.com, More
- Recent High Dollar Price Quotes on DomainNameSales.com – 4/29/13
- Flippa Recap: JE.de, Q.af, ReLike.com, a $60k website, more
- Domain Flips and Flops: 2.5x on Tempt.com in a few months, 21x on Opinator.com, more
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: Seri.com, Indi.com, Hot.net, GameGlobe.com, More
- Update On Top 10 Sales From A Year Ago This Week: Jackpot.com, Movies.xxx, Hike.in, Newburyport.com, More
- Flippa Recap: Templates.net, EastLondon.com, Ear.org sells for more the 2nd time around